Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009 .......
It's been 8 years. I'd be remis if I didn't say something about this terrible anniversay, but I'm tapped today.

I get very emotional about this subject and today I just don't think I can discuss this rationally.

So here's a post I made 3 years ago that still seems relevant.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Do You Remember When There Were No Airplanes in the Sky? ......

Yesterday I went to The U.S. Airforce Museum at Wright Patterson Airbase in Dayton, Ohio. One of my co-workers suggested the trip several weeks ago and it turned out to be just the thing to help pull me out of the funk I've been in.

Not that I'm all Hunky Dorry yet ......... But I needed the distraction. I love that place and have visited it 4-5 times in the last 10 years. It's absolutely huge. There is no way you can see all of it in 1 day. They constantly cycle new displays in so it's not like you'll get bored of seeing the same old shit every time.

But even that would be ok with me, because I never get tired of looking at the aircraft. It's all the little displays that take up your time. I took a bunch of pictures, but most of them are blurry as hell and suck. I'll have to go through them and find a couple that only suck a little and try to clean a few up with my photo editor before I post any. Maybe tomorrow.

Regarding the title of this post - Do You Remember When There Were No Planes in the Sky?
I happen to live on an approach pattern to a pretty good size airport about 60 miles Northwest.

Last night around 10 pm I was outside smoking, watching the planes on their final approach, while the dogs pissed all over everything in the area surrounding the house. The approach lane goes almost directly over my house and they hit the landing lights a couple miles South of my place. I've been watching this for 6+ years now and I can pretty much call it when the lights are gonna flip on.

It's a neat trick and it amuses me, but there's seldom much of a crowd out there with me while the dogs are leaving big turds in the yard to be stepped in later, so it doesn't have much practical value.

But it got me to thinking last night. I'm over 50 years old and for as long as I can remember, there have ALWAYS been planes in the sky. I grew up watching planes on approach to O'hare airport in Chicago.

BUT .... About 5 years ago. For about a week. There weren't any airplanes in the sky.

Right after 9-11-01

Remember? Sure you do.

I remember thinking about it back then, how strange it was not seeing them up there. Just one of the things you expect to see. Look up ............. And in a few minutes time, you should see an airplane somewhere up there. Everywhere I've lived. All my life. That's just the way it's always been.

Spooky when they're not there.

I do not wish to ever NOT SEE airplanes again.

I think it would be wise if we all remembered that time - When There Were No Airplanes in the Sky.

It would be equally wise to remember - Why There Were No Airplanes in the Sky. The folks who perpetrated the massacre on 9-11-01 haven't changed their opinion of us. Nor have their stated goals changed any.

You would be wise to remember this fact also - If you're breathing, they haven't finished their job yet. That's what they believe.

That's a fact. Keep that in mind the next time you're watching the news or reading the paper. The Bullshit is gonna get thick in the next few months with the elections coming up and there is a segment of our elected officials who would like you forget about the time - When There Were No Airplanes in the Sky.

Don't forget. Nothing has changed in their plans for us. They have unfinished business yet.

Don't forget that there is also a significant number of politicians and media who feel that your family's safety is secondary to reclaiming political power. That's right, I said it. The safety of you and your family is not their primary concern. I'm more than happy to question the patriotism of most of the Democratic leadership in Washington and their allies in the media.

You should too.

Gratuitous Picture for Today-
































No.

Never again.

Also - HERE is a little compilation of TiVo things that James Lileks made that morning. I'd not seen this before & it damn near made me cry.

Like I said, this day is very emotional for me. If you know me or have hung around here much you'd know that says a lot.

God love ya and good night.