Wednesday, May 05, 2010

"I Been Workin' on the Compost".........

All the live long day....
Spent almost all day today as a heavy equipment operator.

Shoveling compost. The local Dept of Public Works has a deal going on right now where they are giving away compost. Damn nice of them, too.

The only drawback is you have to shovel it in the truck yourself. Now I'm not afraid of a little hard work but I am afraid of hurting my back which has been giving me fits for several months now.
I did ask if they had a fee for loading it and was given the standard "Liability issues" response. I laughed and pointed out to my truck and asked them if they really thought I was worried about scratching the paint?

He was a nice guy and I understand so I went to work loading up.

I made a total of 4 trips and got the compost all spread out in the garden beds that needed it. Which was all of them.

I really would like to have a dump truck full of that stuff. It took me all day to load and unload it but it was time well spent as this stuff is like gold to garden soil.

I got a line on a new source of Horse Dookie today too. My old supplier sold his place and moved and I've been looking for a new supplier since ......... who has a tractor with a bucket on it and will load it for me.

Man, it's so much easier unloading it from the truck than it is putting it in there.

But I don't feel to bad at this point and hopefully I won't be to stove up tomorrow.

It was a nice day all in all. Hope y'all can say the same about yours.

Gratuitous Picture for a Wednesday Evening-


The Chinese are some efficient SOB's. Never waste anything.