Friday, September 23, 2011

Garden Lesson #1001...........

Look at the picture here. This is why you should start your own seeds-

See that.
16 tomato plants and they are all those miserable little yellow salad tomatoes.
I was lazy last Spring and didn't start my own seeds. Bought plants from one of the local places thinking I was getting Roma plants. Wrong. They may been MARKED as Roma Tomatoes, but as you can see, that wasn't exactly what we got was it? Yep, so we didn't get the tomatoes we needed for canning this year.

Was I mad at the guys who sold me the mis-marked plants? Yeah, a little bit. But I was mad as hell with myself for being to lazy to start seeds myself.

Oh well. Lesson learned. Don't let this happen to you.

The last planting of Green Beans continues to fight valiantly against, Al Gore's global warming-

If we get a few more weeks w/o a frost, we may still get a crop yet.

Given that the temps have been way below normal for the last 3-4 weeks, I'm pretty impressed that there are any beans on these plants at all.

This is the first year I've planted this Green Bean variety and I'm real impressed. They are, Derby Bush Beans and I have really been pleased. Very big, hardy plants that really put out a lot of beans.
I'm gonna buy 5 lbs just to put into storage. Yeah, they are that good.

The garden has been a bit of a bust this year and it's a damn good thing I don't have to rely solely on that for a food source or the dogs and other pets would be looking over their shoulders come about February.

Gratuitous Picture for a Friday Night-