Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Good Ride Yesterday...........

Was out of the house on TheBigBluePlasticMotorcycle by 9 yesterday morning and decided I needed to hit the Ohio River.
Now there are 2 good ways to do that from here. One on the East of the Louisville area and one to the West.

If you're like me, fighting all the traffic and fucking Dumbasses around the Louisville Metro area just ain't an option so it's best to choose one or the other.

There are great roads to ride with either choice so you can't really lose.

I headed West and South and wound up here-

That road behind the bike there is the main drag and it just runs right into the river. Should have gotten a picture of the warning sign.

The restaurant I parked at is currently closed for repairs due to flooding this Spring. You can see the river looks like there's a pretty good distance below the elevation of this place, and you'd be right.

It's gotta be 25+ feet down to the current water level. I can't wrap my head around the volume of water it would take to bring the river up to where there was 4-5 feet running through the spot where my bike is parked in the picture.

A Barge was going by just as I pulled up-

I always thought that working on one of those would be a cool ass job.
Never occurred to me as a job option growing up in Northern Indiana though.

Here's a pic of the river taken up on the bluff in the parking lot of The Overlook Restaurant-


Nice view even if the crappy cellphone pic doesn't do it justice.

I rode the river for awhile and headed Northwest up to my friend, Michael Boone's place and spent an hour or so shooting the shit with him and his lovely wife, Patty.
He lives in a valley that is 3-4 miles off the pavement and is as pretty a setting as a guy could ever want.
Good people those 2.

Made the 60 mile ride home from there and hit the house shortly after dark, wore the hell out.
In a good way.
That may be the last good day of riding for this year so I'm glad I got out and spent some quality time in the saddle.
Did approximately 240 miles of beautiful 2 lane Southern Indiana roads and loved it.

Damn good mental hygiene that motorcycle is.
Working this afternoon so gotta go.

Gratuitous Picture for a Wednesday Afternoon-
Now you know what really happened.