Sunday, February 19, 2012

Here's Something I had Never heard About Before..............
Which, considering all of the time I've spent reading WWII history is surprising.

The 5 Craziest War Stories (All Happened on the Same Ship)-

"Do you ever get sick of hearing about "the greatest generation"? For over 60 years now, it's been all "they survived the Depression" this and "they defeated the Nazis" that and "they never looked stupid in hats." Well, not everything the heroes of the 20th century did was pitch perfect. For example, the WWII destroyer USS William D. Porter was easily the stupidest ship ever launched. If ships were people, this one would be the kid who ate paste off a stick. And then almost killed the president by accident."

This article is from Cracked.com which explains the writing style. This is a fabulously interesting story of a ship I don't recall ever hearing about before.
And the best thing about it is the story is true.

After reading this and checking a few other resources to verify it I can see why the US Navy never had much to say about the USS William D. Porter.
If I tried to tell you the story of this ship you'd think I was making it up.
H/T to The ONT at Ace of Spades for bringing this to my attention.

Since we're on Seagoing Adventure Stories.........
Read the Obituary on this fella-
John Fairfax, Who Rowed Across Oceans, Dies at 74
"He crossed the Atlantic because it was there, and the Pacific because it was also there.
He made both crossings in a rowboat because it, too, was there, and because the lure of sea, spray and sinew, and the history-making chance to traverse two oceans without steam or sail, proved irresistible..."


I remember when he did those crossings. My Old Man on hearing when he left to cross the Atlantic said, "That's a Crazy Bastard there." But not in a derogatory way. You could tell that The Old Man thought it was cool. Even if he expected to hear later that Fairfax had been lost at sea.

I bet he bought damn few drinks with his own money wherever he went. I know I'd keep buying as long as he was telling stories.

Gratuitous Picture for a Sunday Night-
The Trabant! East Germany's version of the Chevy Volt.
Only it didn't catch on fire.