Monday, May 28, 2007

Home, Home on the Range.............

Took the new Mosin-Nagant M91/30 to the range this morning. Damn. This rifle is a lot more accurate than I am. Surprising how well it shoots. Here's some sample targets fired off a bench but with only my gear bag as a rest at 100 yards with the stock, open sights. Yeah, I want a scope for it now. That black circle is 6" BTW for those of you who are wondering.



















As you can see, there's a bunch of flyers that aren't anywhwere near where I was thinking they'd go. But in reality, they went right where I aimed at. That's not the rifles' fault. With some practice and a better rest to shoot from, this thing should be really good.

Scratch that. The rifles fine now. I'm the one who needs more practice.



Here's the crew I went with. Both of these guys are shooters. The fella giving the thumbs up? He's a real shooter. Knows his shit and taught me several good things this morning.











Here's YerUnk, deep in the concentration mode. Check out the size of those rounds laying there. The 7.62x54Russian round is a decent cartridge. These surplus Czech rounds were clocked at 2800 feet per second. Not bad, considering they were made in 1959.