Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fresh Kentucky Peaches .........
YUUUUMMMMMM!
Decided the other day that I needed to spend the day on TheBigBluePlasticKawasaki and gas prices be damned, I was gonna go for a good long ride.

Wonderful thing a motorcycle is for your mental hygiene. My always questionable level of psychotic stability has been stretched a bit further than is good for it this year and a good long ride was a very good thing.

And I found that the peaches are ripe in Kentucky. And that's a good enough reason to go riding as any I can come up with.

The plan I had went out the window before I got 30 miles from home. That's not a bad thing and that's pretty much how most days go when I'm riding by myself. I hit a detour and got sent on a long round about that was absolutely wonderful. A bunch of small backroads that went up and down, left and right and wandered in and out of the woods. Beautiful. Southern Indiana at it's finest. There were a few places where the pavement wasn't to great. Like...... you come around a curve and without notice, it's all gravel. Well, that adds to the fun as long as you don't dump your bike or some such as that.

That detour led me in a different direction than planned and I ended up crossing the Ohio River 30 some miles West of where I'd planned. No biggie as I was just following my nose at this point.

Some days you get lucky and just seem to find "Good Roads". Bike riders will know what I mean by that. I can't give you any exact definition as to what makes a road good or not. It just is and it probably depends on the day as to whether it would be a good road or not.

But about all the places I went Monday on my 300+ miles were "Good Roads". I didn't ride far in Kentucky when I saw the sign for "Fresh Peaches" at a big roadside stand.

There are few things in the world that compare with a fresh peach. The only bad news was I only had a pocketful of change and a debit card on me. And they didn't have any way to handle debit purchases. I must have looked really pathetic as the old woman running the place offered me one for free. That's Southern hospitality. I insisted on paying and whipped out the change in my pocket and purchased 1 peach for .62 cents and went outside and enjoyed every bite.

Motorcycles are a natural conversation starter. Some old guy waiting for his wife started yakking at me while I was eating my peach. And I spent 10-15 minutes talking to him.

I love Southern Folk. That old guy was 75 and funny as hell. Had me laughing the whole time. He was driving a big old full sized 1984 Ford that he claimed got 32 mpg. Don't know how, but it was clean and sounded good. So he must be doing something right.

I ended up riding for close to 10 hours and can tell ya, I am not in riding shape. You wouldn't think there was all that much needed to get on a bike and just ride, but it ain't quite like that. Your joints need a break in for that stuff. Well, if you're over 50 and have arthritis like I me they do anyway. My hips, back and most everything connected to them were pretty stiff by the time I got back home.

But damn, that peach was good!