Thursday, June 11, 2009

Major Scrounge Score Today !!!!!

The Wife clued me this morning to a Freecycle ad about free lumber so I went and checked it out.

One of the local motels had a small fire and they tore down a section of the building. And there was a shitload of lumber.

I made 2 loads in the little blue truck and would have gone back for more, but word must have gotten out and it was starting to look like a feeding frenzy, so I gave it up.

Got quite a nice stack of lumber. Mostly 2x8's with a few 2x10's and 2x12's. Most of it about 12 foot long. Lots a nails to pull, but the price was right.

We are pleased.






There's not usually a whole lot on Freecycle that's all that interesting to me, but once in awhile you get lucky.

Since were on the subject of wood. Here's some of the lumberjack project that's been going on.






I'm thinning out a stand of trees and here's some of whats been cut so far.

The stuff on the left is Sycamore and not much good for anything other than the firepit. But that's ok. I have a firepit and have been using it quite a bit this Spring.

The rest is Maple. Hopefully I'll have a wood burning stove in by this winter (if I can figure out where to get the $$$$ for it) and that'll be used in there.

I've got 8-9 small to medium trees yet to get to so I'd better be burning some or that stack will take up the whole yard. That's only a few trees worth of wood there and only one had any size to it. There are a couple of huge Sycamores that I'd like to get rid of, but they are a bit intimidating for me. 90-100 feet high and big at the base. I've cut a lot of trees over the years, but I get a little queasy thinking about those. My big saw only
has a 24" bar on it.

So they're probably safe for now.

Anyway, it's been a good day. I got a lot of things done that I needed to, copped some free lumber & cut some grass even if it was too wet. The rain has continued on & off all day.

So other than a little weeding, the garden planting I wanted to do ain't happening. Maybe tomorrow.

Haven't gotten out on the BigBluePlasticMotorcycle either. That's really the only disappointment going.

OK, Gratuitous Picture for a Thursday Evening-
Since we're on the subject...





Yeah I know. This shit ought to be obvious. You know there was a Lawyer - and a Dumbshit - involved somewhere.