Thursday, May 20, 2010

2 for 1............
It's always been my rule to plant 2 trees for every 1 cut.
This afternoon I decided to get back at the job of thinning out a stand of trees that runs along the creek behind the Compound.

Now I'm waaaaaayyy ahead on the 2 for 1 rule so far as I've planted 25 or 30 trees here in the last 2-3 years already.

I dropped 5 trees today. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems like the last one I dropped.

Actually, things went pretty smooth. I got 4 of 5 topped out and cleaned up before I ran out of gas.

No, the chainsaw had plenty of gas. I ran out of gas and just had to call it quits for the day.

But I now have a nice area cleaned out and already have trees coming to replace the ones I drooped today. Pecans and English Walnuts.
I've not had real good luck with Nut Trees in the past and I don't understand why that is.
There are plenty of folks who have been eating Apples and Peaches for years from trees I've planted at places I've lived in the past.
Nut trees? Not so good.

I'll just have to keep trying I suppose.

None of the trees I cut today were very big, 12 - 18 inches is all. But every bit of firewood will be worth a lot come Wintertime.
I still have a few BIG trees that I'd like to drop, but frankly, I'm a bit shy on tackling them after that last big one. Even though it was a case of internal rot that caused me problems and not something I could have known, I'm still a little leery as of yet.

That'll probably change eventually.
As I have a small place I need to find a source of firewood for the future. I've got a couple of places in mind and have to get over to speak with the owners.
Wish me luck.

I saw a truck full of sawlogs go by the house yesterday but never saw them going back. That's always been a good source. Those guys are after the big logs and leave a huge amount of wood lay afterwords. Not a lot of tree cutting going on right now, between the weather and the economy.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get in to glean the leftovers of any work being done around here.

As much as I hate it, I'm gonna need to get another saw before to long. The old Homelite XL is a hell of a cutting tool, but it's getting worn. I can see needing an upgrade soon. The Poulin is only good for glean up. Just not a real cutting tool. Not a knock. It's been a heck of a reliable little saw. But it doesn't have the oomph to really do real wood cutting duty.

That's it for tonight. My ass is tired.

Gratuitous Picture for a Thursday Night-