Sunday, November 21, 2010

Peanuts From the Garden.......

I put in a small patch of peanuts this year. Being hobbled up from the recent surgery, I didn't get them pulled when I should have.
The oldest son, TherapyBoy came by last week and pulled them for me & we hung the vines over the fence to dry everything out for a few days.

Problem is, it's been rainy almost nonstop since. Not good on the crop as a bunch of them got moldy.

Bummer for me, but that's the way it goes when you're unable to get around. I got out there today and threw everything into the back of the little blue truck and brought them up to the garage where I could work on them.

Got all the good ones sorted out and spread them on a couple of gunny sacks to dry inside the garage for now. At least their out of the rain. I'm thinking that I'll just bag them in the gunny sacks and hang the sacks somewhere close (but not TOO close) to the woodstove for a few days. Give the bags a shake now and then to mix 'em up some and see how it goes.

Kinda disappointed on the yield, but it was a crappy growing season and I really should have planted them somewhere else with more sun. So it's partly my fault.

It's been a few years since I've grown any peanuts and I forgot that they are a very attractive plant & easy to grow - If you put them in the right place. Don't know what I was thinking.
You may think about growing some in your garden. The 1st time I grew them I just bought some raw peanuts at the store and planted those.

Give it a try if you like peanuts. Roasting them is easy, but I have yet to try making "Salted in the Shell" nuts like you buy at the store. The wife tells me she found a recipe for that online and I may try some.
I'll let ya know how it goes.

Nothing else going on around here. Go see the Surgeon tomorrow for a check up and see if I can get off these damn crutches soon. That's about it.
Later.

Gratuitous Picture for a Sunday Afternoon-