Thursday, July 02, 2009

Thursday Evening .......

Nothing to exciting going on at "The GrumpyUnk Command and Control Bunker" today.

I sloughed off a lot of things I should have been doing today. My ass was aching from all the shoveling and what not yesterday.

I hate to admit that I just don't have the energy levels I used to have a few years ago and damn if my joints just kick the hell out of me sometimes.

But that's the way it is and I guess I better get used to it. The Arthritis and Lupus makes them old joints ache when you over do it.
Over do it has become a relative thing though.

Pisses me off sometimes, but doing what I do for a living helps focus me on the fact that it can always be worse and my little problems ain't nothing to bitch about.

Here's what I have been doing -
Have been eating the shit out of fresh Peas the last few weeks. I yanked all of the remaining plants and froze some and dried these.



Amazing how big a pile of Peas dry down to just those 3 jars.

My wife makes an ass kick, Pea soup and that's a lot of soup in those jars.

I look at those little shriveled up things and think "My gonads probably look like that."

Anyway, The 3 beds that held the Peas were cleaned and planted with Beans last Friday. Look like this this evening.




Not bad. The weather has been good for them. I've got 4 different types of beans going now.

Those are regular bush beans there.

I've got Pole Beans, Black Turtle Soup Beans and Cranberry Beans going too.

Yeah, I like beans.

And Watermelon.



This is a, Moon and Stars Melon. It's coming along nicely.
My melons are a friggin mess. I just sorta stuffed them all into one small area and now they are falling all over themselves and making a big tangled mess.
It's a good mess because it looks like I'll have melons out the Wahzoo and that's good.




There's 4 different types of Melons in that mess there.

See, you forget just how much room these things need when you take 3-4 years off.

It'll be ok though. What's so wonderful is, even a bad year is better than not growing anything.

That small bed of Beans along the fence are the, Black Turtle Beans. Not a lot, but I've never raised them before and this is a trial year.

The Pear tree is looking good. It's amazing that it's alive at all, considering that I damn near burnt it to the ground when a small, cleanup fire got out of hand a couple of years ago.

I thinned about half of the fruit out of it a week ago. It was already bending the hell out of the limbs. I added a couple of props and ropes to support things and it looks ok for now.

Overall, things look good. The single Cuke Plant is pumping Cukes out at an amazing pace. The, "Tomatoes that Ate My HoopHouse" are just going crazy. I should have trimmed them up too. You can't hardly get through the damn thing now.
You can see a bit of what I'm talking about here -


Not the best picture, but the best I have today.
There's only 5 Tomatoes and 1 Cuke in that HoopHouse.

Can't even walk through it anymore.

Lesson learned for next year.

I need to start keeping a journal and a plot plan of what and where I put things. Several of the markers I made for things like Peppers are gone and I have no Idea which is which.

It's amazing I can find my way home at night.

That's it for now. Night Kids.

Gratuitous Picture for a Thursday Night-



Don't be the guy at the end of that line up.